Sunday, July 17, 2011

-Destructible

Everything was going so well the day before our trip back east commenced!  Laundry was clean, packing list had been prepared, and most of our clothes had already been pulled out.  There was ample time to run a few necessary errands.  I thought happily to myself how nice it was that I was on top of everything--which is precisely the thought that lead to the destruction of my phone.  Why did I have to have that kind of awareness?  It was only minutes later that gravity pulled my phone out of the elbow that was precariously balancing it as I toted a carseat, wallet, grocery bag, and handful of mail into the house.  Despite the protective cover on the device, it took a hit in just the exact spot that caused it to suffer a shattered screen.  I'd be lying if I said I didn't stop to consider how much I was willing to tough it out and deal with pulling shards of glass out of my hair after each use.  This mother of two young'uns probably considered it a bit too long.  I relinquished myself to two facts:  1)  I was going to have to pay for this physical damage and 2) I needed to figure out how quickly I could make this happen.  Other trip preparations ceased for a while as I reluctantly tackled the issue.

After the girls woke up from their naps, I trekked everyone over to the Apple store.  After looking up my information, they reported that they could not explain it, but the computers were showing that this repair would be done at no cost!!!  I almost hugged the associate!  I wasted no time asking him for a recommendation on the mother-of-all protective phone covers.  He advised me to visit the AT&T store a few doors down to get something called an Otter Box.  He explained that it provided the best protection...but was sorry to inform me that it would make my phone look uncool.  I literally laughed out loud.  With one hand on my stroller and one eye anxiously fixed on my sweet little monster as she navigated a nearby Macbook, how did the word "cool" even enter his mind as he spoke to me?!  I'm about five years past cool.  Fine.  Seven.  You know what I think is cool?  Protecting your investments.  Fiscal responsibility.  Of course I didn't bother to share any of this with the cool Apple associate.  He will one day be enlightened, I'm sure.

So we are now the proud owners of Otter Boxes (yours will soon be on the way, honey).  I came home, ripped open the box, snapped both covers onto the newly-repaired phone...and couldn't help but whisper, "Cool."

1 comment:

  1. This post made me laugh so hard. I couldn't leave a comment the first time, so I came back to read it again. You're hilarious. I want an otter box too...and I don't even have a smart phone.

    ReplyDelete